Thursday, June 5, 2008

Goooooooooooooaaaaal!! My first official fotboll (soccer) game!



Yesterday I went to my first official fotboll (soccer in American English) game. From what I've seen on TV there are always thousands of people and rowdy fans. However, the team we went to support, IFK Värnamo, is in the 3rd highest division in Sweden and their opponents, Östers IF (the home team), had been relegated (demoted to lower leagues) twice in the last 2 years. So needless to say, we couldn't expect large crowds but that definitely didn't stop us from being rowdy.

Out of the entire stadium there were only the 6 of us cheering for the away team plus a few parents of the players. Everyone around kept staring at us because we were so enthusiastic over such a low-stakes game. Someone even took video of us...probably to show his friends how silly international students can be...hahaha!

One thing about soccer is that fans are notorious for making chants to taunt the other team/fans and to support their own team as well. Luckily for me, all my friends were happy to teach me chants from their home countries. I learned one in Greek, Spanish, German, Dutch, and Swedish. Loosly translated some of the chants said "abadon your team now, go ahead and do it, do it"..."relegate again, again, relegate again"..."we are the best, you are horrible, why even try"...and some other ones i won't even try to translate because I don't believe they are family friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment